The department of Biology, T.N.B. College, Bhagalpur enjoys the unique distinction of being the first in the whole of undivided Bihar in starting Biology teaching. The Department got a shot in the arm when the world-renowned ecologist, Professor Ramdeo Mishra, FNA, FNASc joined as its founder Head in 1939. Today, he is fondly remembered as the ‘Father of Ecology in India’. Professor Ram Swaroop Singh succeeded him in 1942. A year later, Biology Department was split into The Department of Botany and The Department of Zoology.
Dr. Balwant kajale earned the distinction of being the first Head of the independent Department of Botany in 1943. He was succeeded by Professor B.N. Mookerjee in 1945 who pioneered the Department till 1947 in the first stint. From 1947 to 1949, Dr Jangi Lal Shrivastava steered the Department as the Head. Professor B.N. Mookerjee took over again as the Head in 1949 and continued till he retired in 1976. Dr. Amar Nath Prasad succeeded him in 1976 and continued till 1985. Therefore, Professor S.S. Choudhary took the reins of the Department as the Head till 2002. He was succeeded by Professor M.M. Prasad (2002-2009) followed by Dr. A. Kishore in 2009. The present Head, Professor N.K. Sah took over the charge in 2013 and continued till August, 2017 when Professor H.K. Chourasia took over for about six month (August, 2017 to Jan 2018). The Department has been progressing steadily in the leadership of the present Head.
Head of the Department of Botany:
- Dr. R. Mishra : 1939-1942
- Dr. Balwat Kajale : 1943-1945
- Dr. B.N. Mookerjee : 1945-1947
- Dr. JangiLal Srivastava : 1947-1949
- Dr. B.N. Mookerjee : 1949-1976
- Dr. Amar Nath Prsad : 1976-Jan 1985
- Dr. S.K.T. Nasar : Jan, 1982- June, 1982
- Dr. Amarnath Prasad : 1982-1985
- Prof. S.S. Choudhary : 1985-2002
- Prof. M.M. Prasad :2002-2009
- Prof. A. Kishore :2009-2013
- Prof. N.K.Sah :2013-Ongoing